Let’s face it, everybody loves a good freebie on campus: from lining up for hours for a free snag, to that fistful of free drinks we shamelessly snatch from the cold palms of promo staff, there’s endless amounts of joy in not paying for stuff.
But it’s not all pens and lanyards. Here’s our top ten picks for where to score great freebies this O Week.
1. Macquarie is proud of its sustainability initiatives, and you can join in the spirit by grabbing an eco coffee cup from Service NSW just by signing up for a MyService NSW account.
2. Commbank are back with their wheel of prizes – line up and spin to win duffle bags, food, stationery and more. Speaking of free stuff, did you know Commbank waives fees for students? If you’re a Commbank user make sure you ask at the stall to be switched to the student option for your banking – it means your bank account is fee-free!
3. Need a coffee hit to keep up that scrounging? Nescafe will be bringing an interactive coffee machine to sample -and while you’re there, check out the social media zone next door, where you can hear more about the amazing competitions they’re running, including some big ticket prizes!
4. Get a sharp start to session: Gillette are giving away some of their best ladies and mens razors so you can keep on top of the hobo look during assessment time. Don’t ask, just take.
5. Collecting freebies is hard work, so MAGGI Fusian will be on site offering free hot samples of their new Laksa and Korean Spicy Beef noodle variants. Nom.
6. After free lunch, grab some dessert from STA Travel, who are giving away choc tops and popcorn, and you could go in the draw to win travel vouchers.
7. Thirsty after all that free food? Bundaberg will be sampling their ice cold drinks (make sure both hands are empty).
8. Still keen to stuff your pie-hole? Optus will be bringing the nostalgia to campus with a snow cone machine! Cola and bubblegum flavour, pls.
9. Stock up on free stationery for study season from Officeworks, who will be featuring daily games at their stall with a range of handy supplies as prizes.
10. Healthy body = healthy mind, so if you’re keen to kick the session off by joining the Macquarie University Sport and Aquatic Centre, now’s a better time than ever: they’re offering a free backpack, towel and drink bottle if you join soon.
BONUS: Lipton Iced Tea will be back yet again for the renowned Clubs and Societies Day on Monday, 27 February to help you stay cool. In addition to samples of various flavours, there will be a DJ, an inflatable surf simulator, giant Jenga, air hockey table, and more.