Last week were the annual Student Group Awards Night, a celebration of all the impressive work and achievements of our outstanding student groups.
Over 200 guests attended the illustrious affair including staff, the SRC, and students from the more than 130 student groups, with performances by both the Macquarie University Symphony Orchestra and the Macabellas.
Overall, 12 awards were presented on the night, including faculty-specific groups and awards that recognise the outstanding contribution the groups have made to Macquarie’s campus life.
The three main awards on the night were awarded to three very different groups: the Gaming and Computing Society, which won group of the year, The Big Lift, a volunteering group founded on the philosophy of ‘paying it forward’, which won new student group of the year, and the Macquarie Buddy Program, which won the campus engagement award.
These three groups stood out from the competition for their dedication to welcoming and brightening the days of all sorts of students across campus, their ability to orchestrate engaging and regular events, and their incredible creativity and initiative in building a sense of belonging and community within Macquarie.
Congrats to all the winning groups, and thanks for making Macquarie a fun, inclusive and exciting place to be!
- Faculty of Arts Award: Macquarie University Law Society
- Faculty of Business and Economics Award: Accounting Students Association
- Faculty of Science and Engineering Award: Women In Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Human Sciences Award: Education Society
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Award: Clinical Science Society
- Outstanding Contribution to University Life (Equity and Diversity) Award: Los Latinos
- Outstanding Contribution to University Life (Social Spirit) Award: Exchange Students Society
- Outstanding Contribution to University Life (Community Spirit) Award: Disney Appreciation Society (MacDiz)
- Outstanding Contribution to University Life (Religious and Spiritual) Award: Christian Students Uniting
- New Student Group of the Year: The Big Lift
- Student Group of the Year: Gaming and Computing Society
- Campus Engagement Award: Macquarie Buddy Program